Vacancy Announcement for a Programs Director Position
MELCA-Ethiopia is a non-profit, non-governmental organization legally registered as an Ethiopian resident charity with a registration no. 0348. MELCA-Ethiopia is envisioning seeing healthy and prosperous people that conserve their bio-cultural diversity through developing and institutionalizing innovative approach and experience. MELCA Ethiopia is currently inviting an interested and qualified candidate to apply for the programs Director Position. For more information please visit our website at: www.melcaethiopia.org
Position: Programs Director
Length of Contract: One Year with possibility of extension
Place of work: At MELCA-Ethiopia Head office, Addis Ababa with occasional travel to project sites.
Required Number: One (1)
Report to: The Executive Director of MELCA-Ethiopia
The Programs Director shall be accountable to and assists the Executive Director of the organization in all aspects of programs, namely Environmental Governance, Agro ecology, Child and Youth Empowerment and Eco-friendly livelihood, as well as cross cutting interventions such as Gender and PHE. Above all, he or she should make sure that the organization’s Strategic and individual projects Plan is well designed, sufficient resources mobilized, implemented and evaluated in congruent to the institutional vision and mission statements, as well as applicable institutional, government and partners’ policies and agreements. He or she will also serve as a management committee member, involve in staff mentoring, institutional capacity building, strategic studies and deliver on strategic issues. In addition, the program director is the chief technical focal point of the organization.
Major duties of the Programs Director (Job Description)
- Coordinates all programs, cross cutting interventions ( gender and PHE), projects and system design, preparation of plans and their effective implementation,
- Ensure that all works are carried out in conformity with the organizations, donors’, government’s policies, strategy, strategic plan, guidelines, applicable agreements, project goals, logics, acceptable standards and procedures,
- Ensures that all our programs and projects planned and executed in a manner to ensure the realization of project and program outcomes, expected impacts and mission and vision of MELCA-Ethiopia.
- Lead and engage in resources mobilization, grant management and in its effective channeling and productive use
- Coordinate and lead the preparation of overall organizational and project quarterly and annual action plans, reports, and ensure their implementation and timely internal and external monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure reports and action plans are submitted in a timely manners to donors, general assembly, board, government agencies, stakeholders, communities and the executive Director
- Oversee, lead and mentor project coordinators and other staff members under his direct supervision
- Ensure transparency, downward accountability, effectiveness and efficiency in the implementation of interventions,
- Device and make use of innovative methods, systems and approaches to ensure higher level impacts and effective communication, experience exchange and learning
- Establish, maintain, promote and advance partnership among different players
- Design and implement Institutional, staff and stakeholders’ capacity building undertakings and advice the Executive Director on strategic issues,
- Ensure the documentation of key achievements, change stories and disseminate to all concerned.
- Liaise with donors and other key stakeholders and function other activities as instructed and designated by the Executive Director as deem necessary.
Qualifications and requirements:
- MSc. Degree in natural resources, agricultural economics and related subject with special training in strategic planning and program management, project cycle management, resources mobilization, monitoring and evaluation, etc.
- 5 years of experience in planning and programing preferably in environment and natural resources sector notably in NGO environment
- High competence in fund raising, proposal and report and story writing, communication skill, monitoring and evaluation, HR management, Organizational development, and team building
- Have a comprehensive understanding of system and strategic level thinking and sustainable development and environmental governance principles,
- Working knowledge of cross cutting issues such as gender, population, health, livelihood, interface between culture and nature, Traditional Ecological knowledge and conservation and sustainable production system.
- Workable command of environmental policies, strategies, and related international and national environmental and sustainable agenda
- Fluency in English language usage
- Having appreciable analytical, big picture attitude, agile and computer skills in MS Office including Word, Excel, PPT and e-mail.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit non-returnable application letter, Brief CV and copies of relevant documents and at least 2 professional references, via post office or electronically or in person to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, or MELCA-Ethiopia Head office, located at Kidane Beyene building, 1st floor, beside main post office or via P.O.Box: 1519 code 1250, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. For more information, please call @ Phone- +251-11-550-7172 during working hours.
Deadline and application considerations
Deadline for application is Friday November 19, 2021 or five working days from the date of the appearance of this vacancy announcement on the news letter. Female professional candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.